[PD] symbolatom: why does it not allow to type spaces?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Dec 19 10:17:34 CET 2007

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007, Chris McCormick wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 06:32:00PM -0500, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>> The other bug is in t_tkcmd.c, because there Miller wrote in 656 lines of
>> C what takes ~10 lines in pure Tcl, including trying to preemptively parse
>> Tcl commands instead of asking Tcl to do it, and getting it wrong whenever
>> braces are backslashed.
>
> I am curious as to whether you have ever discussed this with Miller,

Perhaps, perhaps not, I don't remember and it does not matter.

> or submitted a nice clean atomic patch to fix it and see if he accepts
> it into his version?

You know that I haven't, you don't need to ask. I can't write nice and
clean patches anyway.

> Is it in the bug tracker anywhere?

I can't make my 6666 interdependent changes all into nice and clean atomic
patches. It would take forever. You haven't thought about the logistics of
it and then you think that it would really work. The diff submission
process doesn't upscale.

> Or is the fix available in Desire Data for Miller to pull into his own
> version if he wants?

Since when does Miller do that?...

> Not criticising you at all,

Oh, you could do it all you like.

> just curious about whether we can make Pd development more constructive
> than it has been in the past.

Then maybe you could look in the past and see what people said when they
were thinking about how to make Pd development more constructive than it
was in the past of that past.

> It would be wonderful to see some of your hard work get into Miller's Pd

Lol.

> I know that you have been frustrated by this in the past,

Yeah, but the past is the past, and nowadays I'm much more at peace with
the facts, and I just understand that you're going to be frustrated in the
future.

> but my intentions are to have better software, not to annoy you.

It's ok.