[PD] regression testing WAS Re: [psql] object hand-holding

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Dec 23 22:24:01 CET 2007

On Dec 23, 2007, at 3:53 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 Dec 2007, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>>
>>> - keep the tests as simple as possible, but not simpler
>>> one should be able to write a test fairly easily; i think
>>> shortcuts are
>>> most likely not needed most of the times (e.g. iirc, matju
>>> introduced
>>> several shortcuts in his unity-test frameworks to test for
>>> mathematically important concepts (like assosiativity of
>>> operations); i
>>> think it is way simpler to just program 3 tests manually instead)
>>
>> I think that the tests for associativity are not going to be so
>> useful,
>> but they're still a good practice in some way. However, my goal for
>> PureUnity was not just to make regression tests, but also invent a
>> bunch
>> of superclasses for all the Pd builtins (and some externals) in
>> order to
>> make a categorisation of objects that makes sense from the point
>> of view
>> of how you use the objects: e.g. [timer] and [realtime] would be
>> in the
>> same category not because they deal with time, but because the
>> left bang
>> starts and the right bang stops and outputs a float.
>>
>>> - allow fail-tests which have to return FAIL-state in order to
>>> success
>>
>> How do you know that a method has failed properly?
>
> because it returns the expected FAIL-state.
>
> the problem is the same as "how do you know that a method has
> succeeded
> properly"
>
> you need a-priori knowledge about the expected return state of the
> test.
> i usually do this by a discrimination based on the test-name.
> (prefixing
> "fail")
> e.g. "fail_blabla" will only success if it returns the state "FAIL"
> immediately or after a "WAIT".

In a binary system, anything that doesn't success would be a
failure.  I don't quite get the WAIT state.  Do you have an example
of where to use that?

Any thoughts on how to set up your regression system for use
throughout Pd?

----

Computer science is no more related to the computer than astronomy is
related to the telescope.      -Edsger Dykstra