[PD] counter + list of objects

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Sun Jan 13 19:41:16 CET 2008

Hi all,

Damian Stewart wrote:

> 1) download Pd
> 2) download awesome super rad pre-made patch
> 3) open awesome super rad pre-made patch and scratch heads when it doesn't
> work because they don't have particular externals

My point precisely. Or, as someone told me their Dutch media-arts
instructor said, "Using PD is like living in Communist Russia" [compared
to Max/MSP, I presume]. To which I might append "Using only *vanilla* PD
is like living in Communist Russia." PD-Extended was conceived as a way
to have things "just work"[tm], especially for people who are brand-new
to PD or to programming in general. Why go fooling with that out of some
purist notions about core PD objects vs "tainted" externals? And why ask
them to grapple with such arcane concepts as "namespaces" when the
external objects can simply just be there, and they can get busy playing?

best,
d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl ::: http://blog.myspace.com/macumbista