[PD] New on ubuntu: where to go now

PSPunch shima at pspunch.com
Mon Feb 4 05:59:31 CET 2008

Hi,

I mainly use Ubuntu Studio 7.10 myself and figured I
might have something to share.

--
Debian/testing and Ubuntu Gutsy (Intel i386 processor)
installs fine.

Download it from,
http://puredata.info/downloads

it is the 3rd on the list.

With Ubuntu 7.10, just double click on the downloaded file
and the system will do the rest of the installation.

--
When launching PD, I recall the console claiming that
certain libraries were missing.

One of them requiring and extra step I think was the "jasper"
library.
In addition to installing it, I had to manually create a
symbolic link so that the file PD-extended searches for exists.

(However, this procedure maybe unnecessary until you use
whatever external calls for this library)

--
There were some discussions on this list that the non-RT
kernal seemed to have better performance under 7.10

I have not confirmed it myself but it may come in handy
to have both RT and non-RT kernals installed.
When you have both of them, you can simply choose which
to use on each startup.

--
Other personal thoughts..

I wanted to stay with Debian, but am currently using
Ubuntu 7.10. While making my setup, I also had the goal to deside
which is currently the easiest Linux distro for beginning PD (and
Linux) users to work on.

There were mainly two issues that made things difficult with Debian.

- FreeBOB not included in current stable release.
   (Or did not recognize my Edirol FA-66)

- Too much hassle to get an RT ready kernal prepared.

--
If you do plan to use Supercollider on Linux, it is likely you
may have to study Emacs. The default environment to run Supercollider

--
I think it is worth learning basic commands of the "vi" text editor.
Practicing only the following 10 commands (and making it a habit to editing

--
David Shimamoto