[PD] *.lua => *.pd_lua or *.l_lua?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Feb 11 09:14:50 CET 2008

Hallo,

> I think that we'd probably be better off not adding any more arcane
> file extensions.

Lua scripts don't have a required file extension, the .lua is just a
convention in the lua world, but as an embedded language, you will
fine lua scripts with all kinds of other extensions. *.lua however is
kind of required when you import modules using "require", but as pdlua
scripts aren't modules, we'd better avoid to use it as well.

> An easy way to avoid this is to have pdlua look for a setup function
> in the .lua it is trying to open.  If there is no setup function,
> then it wouldn't load that file.  That's really the key technique for
> necessary.

I don't know much about it, but aren't loaders in Pd registered for
file endings? I guess it may slow down things a lot if python,
rt-scheme, Q, lua or whatever loader would first need to inspect all
files to find out that most aren't loadable.

Ciao