[PD] *.lua => *.pd_lua or *.l_lua?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Feb 13 22:49:04 CET 2008

Hallo,

> I guess I missed it then, where was it described?  Here's how the
> thread started:
>
> "Currently pdlua loads all *.lua files, which complicates working
> with *.lua modules not intended to be used as pd classes: Those would
> have to be in a directory outside of Pd's search path to not pollute
> Pd's namespace. "
>
> So how about using Pd's normal tools for handling name clashes and
> additionally, using a naming prefix like "lib" for the lua files that
> are not intended to be Pd objectclasses (as I described earlier)?
> Another possibility is using a subdir for these files.

The reason to solve the nameclash with a much simpler solution like
the seperate suffix is that unlike for abstractions, here such a much
simpler solution is available! Nothings forces pdlua to rely on .lua
as an ending, except that we'd miss an opportunity to complicate
things by having to educate users to move files into allowed
directories or give them unusual prefixes.

There are many general purpose lua modules already written, which end
in *.lua, and I wouldn't like to have to rename them and edit them to
use a "lib" or other artificial prefixes. It is much more against the
Lua conventions to require general purpose modules to follow a certain
naming style just to avoid our problem with nameclashes in a very
special case.

And then: When a special prefix should be allowed, why not a special
suffix? Especially when Pd discerns filetypes by suffix in this case?

Ciao