[PD] "open with" on os x

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 01:36:54 CET 2008

ok.
since steffen got different behaviour on his computer, I did some more
testing, and indeed with the current format given in plist for the key
CfBundleVersion this information is useless, because osx cannot
interpret it correctly. that means the default app is the one that you
installed first. also, Info.plist is only read the very first time you
start the application, so in order for the version number to take
effect, you have to delete the app and reinstall it.
I tested two different autobuild versions, one from 20071117 and one
from 20080117.
the one that I installed first became the default version and could not
be changed later.
then I used a different format for CfBundleVersion (0403.71.117 vs.
4003.80.117 [osx will only read 9 numbers!]) and then always the latest
release became the default, no matter which version was installed first.
I don't know what a good version naming scheme would be, and also
pd-extended does not conflict with pd vanilla or for example netpd (I
guess because these use different preference files for plist).
so - the advantage of using CfBundleVersion would be that always the
latest (of several) autobuild versions would be selected as the default
app to open *.pd (and *.pat) files. I think this would be helpful
marius.