[PD] Pd sounds better than Max?

Damian Stewart damian at frey.co.nz
Sun Mar 9 19:24:50 CET 2008

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> To muddy the waters a bit, the most 'correct' sound isn't always the
> best sound.  Consider so many people's love of tube amps.  They have
> higher distorsion than transistor amps, yet so many people think they
> sound better.

i remember reading about people recreating the Roland 303 and one of the
things that made its distinctive sound was that the original power supply
was a bit crappy and couldn't really handle it - in fact if you wound up
one the filters' resonance too high it would be drawing more power than was
available, which would lead to all sorts of fun distortion across the whole
circuit.

one of my aims for the next little while is to build a pd external that
tries to mathematically model the distortion that's going on when an analog
(transistor or tube-based) circuit is overpowered, perhaps on a molecular
level, to get a nicer sound when i push the delay feedback up too high
(which i like to do).

lalala...