[PD] Associative list

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Wed Mar 26 14:57:33 CET 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 10:12 +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Chris McCormick hat gesagt: // Chris McCormick wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 05:11:35PM -0700, Phil Stone wrote:
> > > This sounds like a great thing for vanilla Pd.  I've had need of
> > > something just like this more than once.
> >
> > Great! I hope it comes in handy.
> >
> > > Having worked a bit with [pool] recently, especially as it is used in
> > > Memento, I'd venture that you'd have to go quite a bit further to match
> > > its functionality, though.  It's like a miniature in-memory file system,
> > > with directories, clipboard editing, and more.  It would be laudable to
> > > do a "pure" Memento, but I think much of the hierarchic potential of
> > > [pool] for state-saving has barely been scratched, and in that direction
> >
> > Yeah for sure, that was way too optimistic of me. I think trying to
> > re-implement all the functionality of [pool] in Pd would be a huge
> > stretch of Pd and definately not what Pd is best at. [pool] is a great
> > external already - no point in re-inventing the wheel.
> >
> > However I guess what I'm thinking is that it may be possible to extend the
> > functionality of the SSSAD system a bit with this associative list thing
> > to the point where some of the functionality of memento can be brought
> > into SSAD. I guess only Frank can really tell us if this will be any use!
>
> With SSSAD I try to be "backend-agnostic": SSSAD is just the protocol
> to get and set the state of sssad-watched parts of a Pd patch. How to
> save it in the end is up to the user and will probably stay that way.
> Your associative container could function as a backend for SSSAD, as a
> more comfortable version of [textfile] or message boxes.

yo, sorry to drop in. let me just add a little note about the state
saving of netpd: it turned out, that it was a mistake to cover both
tasks, collecting/setting states and reading/writing data from/to files,
in the same system. some people got frustrated, because this system
didn't allow them to save their presets in the way/format they wanted.
we decided to redo all the state saving stuff and just skip file IO
handling part, so that people can choose themselves, what they are going
to do with this data. for flexibility's sake, i think the route that
SSSAD is following totally makes sense, at least in my opinion.

roman