[PD] memento, rrradical, sssad?

Phil Stone pkstone at ucdavis.edu
Sat Apr 12 04:35:58 CEST 2008

Hi Raul,

I've used both sssad (in [polywavesynth], as you noted) and memento, and
they are similar in many ways, with a few important differences. sssad,
as Frank pointed out, works in vanilla PD.  In my opinion, it's slightly
easier to work with than memento, but Frank has done most of the work
for you in both cases.

I found that I really like [pool]*, and the power it gives to memento.
At the same time, I wish the hierarchy were organized differently (do an
archive search for a thread about this).  Also, Luke Iannini has done
some enhancements to memento (search for "semento"), so there's life in
this line of state-saving for Pd.

I'm actually using a hybrid of both currently -- I'm using sssad for the
voice presets of [polywavesynth], and memento for storing the
configuration of my entire setup.

To be even less help, :-) I currently use both libraries for OSC.  I'm
gradually switching over to mrpeach OSC, because it seems solid and well
designed.  I've never had trouble with oscx, though, and have used both
heavily.

You're right, it's kind of crazy, an embarrassment of riches.  But it's
part of the charm of PD for me; it's like a big kit, where you can put
together whatever you want out of a multitude of components.  If you add
components carefully, you can put some reliable stuff together.

Phil Stone
www.pkstonemusic.com

* as Frank also pointed out, [pool] could also be used for the backing
store to sssad, which is an interesting avenue for exploration, but it
already is all wired up in memento.  I think [pool] should be in vanilla
PD, by the way.