[PD] pd-msg

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Apr 26 00:03:51 CEST 2008

On Apr 25, 2008, at 12:09 PM, Mike McGonagle wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 9:25 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> <hans at eds.org> wrote:
>
> On Apr 24, 2008, at 10:49 PM, Mike McGonagle wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 7:27 PM, Luigi Rensinghoff
>> <luigi.rensinghoff at freenet.de> wrote:
>>
>> do you know how the numbers change if you cut everything from
>> patch and paste it back in ?? my impression is that it does not
>> start from zero ?? What if you copy it to a new patch ? then it
>> should start from zero.....
>>
>> Well, if you are making these patches PROGRAMMATICALLY, then you
>> can't cut and paste, as there is no way to do that in programming.
>>
>> You might want to open up some abstractions in a text editor, you
>> can see the code that PD uses to create these objects directly. It
>> is very enlightening.
>
> cut and paste is possible too.  Check out pd-msg for the details.
> Basically, you need to programmatically draw a box around the
> around the area to select the objects, then send the cut and paste
> messages.
>
> And yes, while this is possible, it just seems very "difficult" at
> best, to be able to create a patch and lay it out in such a way
> that you can make those sorts of selections. LOTS of planning would
> need to go into such a thing.
>

>> Well sure i could keep track of that....but what if i would like
>> to modify an existing patch....
>>
>> Can't do it programmatically. You can only add objects to an
>> existing patch, and if it is something that already has existing
>> objects, there is no way to know how many objects are already in a
>> patch.
>> mike
>
> It would be non-trivial but possible.  You could count the lines in
> the .pd file with "#X obj" in them, that would give you the total
> number of objects.  I guess you'd have to count symbolatoms and
> floatatoms too.
>
> You could probably do this by loading the patch into a [textfile]
> object, if you need to do this programmatically.

Yup, for an example, check out this one in Pd-extended 0.39.3:

Help->Browser->manuals->0.Intro->46.pure_data_files.pd  (I just
released this is broken in 0.40...)

.hc

> Mike
>
> --
> Peace may sound simple—one beautiful word— but it requires
> everything we have, every quality, every strength, every dream,
> every high ideal.
> —Yehudi Menuhin (1916–1999), musician

----

"It is convenient to imagine a power beyond us because that means we
don't have to examine our own lives.", from "The Idols of
Environmentalism", by Curtis White