[PD] Lua and PD (update)

Mike McGonagle mjmogo at gmail.com
Tue May 6 19:26:05 CEST 2008

Hi,

A few months ago, I inquired about what sorts of "sharing" can be done
between PD and Lua. One Idea I have for working with Lua and PD was to
create the interface in PD, and use PD variables to pass the data to
the Lua script running, and I was just wondering if this is now
possible?

1. Lua access to PD variables
2. Lua access to PD tables

Another idea that I had was, instead, have my Lua script create a
bunch of 'receive' objects, and just have the PD interface send the
data to that receiver, rather than use a variable.

I am just wondering how each of these approaches would function, as I
am going to be creating between 20 and 60 variable/receive connections
within a single script.

Also, is there any sort of "coding standard" that has been established
in pdlua? When I started to learn Lua, I wasn't using PD, and since I
started with PD, I noticed that the Object system used by pdlua was
different from what I had done. I have since gone back and reworked
some of my things so they are more like what pdlua uses. Just curious
about this, as I don't want to find some "gotcha" a few months from
now.

Thanks,

Mike

--
Peace may sound simple—one beautiful word— but it requires everything
we have, every quality, every strength, every dream, every high ideal.