[PD] call for testing on the nightly builds!

Enrique Erne enrique at netpd.org
Sat May 17 12:02:50 CEST 2008

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On May 13, 2008, at 10:06 AM, Enrique Erne wrote:
>
>> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>> Hey all,
>>> I've been fixing quite a lot of bugs in preparation of making the Pd-
>>> extended 0.40.3 release.  It's getting pretty much ready, so please
>>> test it heavily so we can find any outstanding bugs!
>>> Jack just pointed out that pdp on Mac OS X/PowerPC is having
>>> problems  loading videos, and is crashing, so I am working on that now.
>>> .hc
>>

>> hi Hans
>>
>> i have been happily working with pd-0.40-extended (20080222) for quite
>> a while. there are some issues though.
>>
>> Pd-0.40.3-extended-20080504-macosx104-i386 on a osx 10.5.2
>>
>> -----------------
>>
>> 1) at the moment if one modifies the preferences of i.e. vanilla pd
>> the pd-extended looses all path and startup preferences (this is on
>> osx i don't know about win or linux).
>>
>> i would like to propose that
>> ~/Library/Preferences/org.puredata.pd.plist will be completely ignored
>> by pd-extended. instead only the org.puredata.pd.plist inside the
>> pd-extended app should be used.
>> this way one could have different working setups. what do you think?
>
> I think people want to save preferences for Pd-extended too.  The
> current situation isn't great, that's true.  If people want separate
> preferences, that might be a possibility in a future Pd-extended release.

ah i forgot that the file inside the app is not save-able

>> -----------------
>>
>> 2) as i reported earlier
>> http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2008-01/058787.html
>> some objects can't create. i think that all of them are know problems.
>> for me not be able to use <~ and >~ is _most_ annoying
>> (hexloader-something?). i know there are workarounds with expr.
>> not including iem-t3 lib is a loss but i can live without it. thou it
>> makes around 5 nice netpd patches not usable anymore.
>

> You can now file bug reports from the Help menu in Pd-extended. Please
> file a bug report for this.

i wrote a bug report for iem_t3

i'm not sure about the hexloader. i found this:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1637460&group_id=55736&atid=478070
should i file a new bug report?

>> -----------------
>>
>> 3) help files
>> most help files worked (could create) but some:
>>
>> iemmatrix/matrix-help.pd
>>  mtx
>> ... couldn't create
>>
>> mrpeach/packOSC-help.pd
>>  packOSC
>> ... couldn't create
>>
>> sssad/sssad-help.pd
>>  sssad key
>> ... couldn't create
>> libdir_loader: added sssad to the canvas-local path
>>  sssad key
>> ... couldn't create
>>
>> i wondered why some help files worked and some not. i thought it was
>> done by org.puredata.pd.plist settings. so i added sssad
>>     <key>loadlib40</key>
>>     <string>sssad</string>
>> restarted pd, but the help files still couldn't create.
>
> please file bug reports for each of these.

done

>> -----------------
>>
>> 4) name clash
>> [curve] Gem vs. mapping
>> probably some more
>
> Yeah, that's been around a lot time.

>> what are the goals? which externals are supposed to work on default?
>> are that the ones in the plist? maybe we should focus on them (before
>> i start to open all help files :) )
>
> The goal is to fine bugs and fix them :).  Some of the bigger well-known
> problems will have to wait until the next release. The externals in the
> plist should work without a namespace prefix.  All included externals
> should work.

uhm . now i filed bug reports for helpfiles of externals that are not on
the plist. but they work with namespace prefix (except iem_t3)