[PD] help files was: Re: call for testing on the nightly builds!

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon May 19 18:34:55 CEST 2008

On May 18, 2008, at 11:39 AM, Enrique Erne wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>>
>>> is there a convention about how to make it work? i.e. should one
>>> use declare, import or namespace prefix?
>>>
>>> i guess all help-files that are not loaded on default would need
>>> a declare/import/or-namespace in order to work...
>>>
>>> i want to contribute and help to make "all"/more helpfiles work.
>>> i know there is pddp but afaik it does not solve the declare/
>>> import/or-namespace problem.
>>>
>>> could all developers express their opinion and agree on how to
>>> make all helpfiles work? :)
>> Starting with the PDDP template is a good place to start:
>> http://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pure-data/trunk/doc/
>> pddp/templates/
>>> i'm not a developer but i would vote for declare
>>> i.e. [declare -stdlib mrpeach] to packOSC-help.pd
>>> then it would work with pd vanilla too.
>> The declare/namespace/import stuff is still very undefined, so I
>> think some experiementation would be good.  I think you should go
>> ahead and try it using what you propose.  That will be a good test
>> case.  Then we'll figure out what works best.
>> Personally, I would use namespace prefixes:   [mrpeach/packOSC].
>> This will make more sense when there are libraries organized
>> around concepts rather than authors.  So something like [osc/packOSC]
>
> from a user point of view organizing libraries around concepts
> would be a huge gain. but let's face it: will that every be the case?
> (rhetorical, but still i would be very happy if somebody has an
> answer:) )

It will be the case if we make it happen.  I have already started the
tkwidgets library, which you might guess from the title, is a set of
Tk widgets. ;)  I also wrote the "pan" library, which is some
techniques for stereo panning.

.hc

> i just found that:
> http://puredata.info/dev/PdLibraries
> http://puredata.info/dev/PdNamespaces
>

> for now i don't know how to help and make the helpfiles work. :(

>>> is this done in tcl/tk? is there any documentation about that on
>>> puredata.info?
>> It is done however you want to, more or less, but I think a pure
>> Tcl solution would be possible, and perhaps easiest.
>> .hc

>> ------- News is what people want to keep hidden and everything
>> else is publicity.          - Bill Moyers

----

Access to computers should be unlimited and total.  - the hacker ethic