[PD] UI developer volunteering to help

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon May 19 20:37:56 CEST 2008

Oops, found a little bug:  double-clicking on an empty cell through
up an error dialog.

Also, an idea: if you just draw that popup entry box just below the
listbox with the OK button, add a Cancel button, then use "pack
forget" when the user hits OK or Cancel.  Just a thought.  That mini-
popup window is the only thing about these panels that is weird, I
guess that why I still am thinking about how to ditch it.

.hc

On May 19, 2008, at 7:09 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Looks good to me.  This is already a massive improvement over what
> is there.  I don't know if you are sick of working on it, but I
> thought I'd throw a couple of minor ideas:
>
> - it would be useful if the "startup flags" entry widget would
> stretch with the resizing window.  Then you could see more of those
> flags.
>
> - perhaps the windows should open above the Pd window instead of
> the center of the screen?  I think you can get that info using
> [winfo rootx .] and [winfo rooty .]
>
> .hc
>
> On May 18, 2008, at 7:26 PM, David Golightly wrote:
>
>> As requested, I've put back the "Edit" and "Delete" buttons and
>> added BackSpace as a Delete event for Mac OS X.  I couldn't get
>> Cmd-BackSpace to fire effectively, but perhaps someone knows
>> something I don't about getting that to work.
>>

>> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 7:15 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
>> <hans at eds.org> wrote:
>>
>> Very nice!  The mouse/keyboard interactive is well done, I only
>> worry that the buttons are now too sparse.  I think delete and
>> edit buttons would still be useful, maybe people don't use
>> keyboard shortcuts at all.
>>
>> Also, on Mac OS X, Delete is not commonly used, so it would be
>> good to also have BackSpace work for deleting.  Or maybe Cmd-
>> BackSpace since that is what is used for deleting in the Finder.
>>

>> .hc
>>
>> On May 18, 2008, at 9:46 AM, David Golightly wrote:
>>
>>> A note on the latest changes: I removed all the list manipulation
>>> buttons and added the following bindings:
>>>
>>> - The list items can be re-ordered by drag-and-drop.
>>> - Clicking on a list item allows you to edit it.
>>> - Clicking anywhere else in the listbox allows you to add a new
>>> list item.
>>> - You can also traverse the list using up and down arrow keys,
>>> then press "Enter" to change the selected item.
>>> - Press "Delete" to delete the currently selected list item.
>>>
>>> I kept around the "New..." button, since it may not be
>>> immediately obvious to newbies how to add new things to the list.
>>>
>>> I also removed the "Save all settings" button and folded its
>>> action in to the "Apply" command (and, by extension, the OK
>>> command).  I played around with trying to get an in-place
>>> editable listbox control for the Startup dialog, but to no avail
>>> - it's apparently no trivial task in Tcl/Tk.  Perhaps for a
>>> future revision.  However, the popup dialog functions effective
>>> the same, as "Enter" will submit your edit and "Esc" will cancel;
>>> once you get used to it it shouldn't be much different.
>>>
>>> I'm also now centering the dialog windows on the screen.  I'd
>>> like to do this also (especially) for the "Properties" dialogs
>>> that are used to edit GUI controls.  Tk like to try and "cascade"
>>> new dialogs as they appear; this is too clever by half, and
>>> really annoying once if you do a lot of editing.  But I've only
>>> tested this centering behavior on my own Macbook 15" screen, so
> [...]

----

"It is convenient to imagine a power beyond us because that means we
don't have to examine our own lives.", from "The Idols of
Environmentalism", by Curtis White