[PD] generatiing a keypress

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue May 20 17:21:42 CEST 2008

On May 20, 2008, at 4:00 PM, Patrice Colet wrote:

>  Hello,
>
> Hans-Christoph Steiner a écrit :

>>> [send_key] sounds good, also I might have found how to do this on
>>> MAC OS    X, by the use of sysctl.h, with looking at the source
>>> of some programs that emulates keystrokes, but I haven't got the
>>> machine for testing...
>> Post the example code and someone will probably look at it.  If it
>> is easy, I'll do it, especially if there is already a cross-
>> platform object written.
>> Also, [hid] and [hidio] both have a cross-platform event/message
>> scheme that is translated into the native platform messages.  I
>> think for [send_key] it use an existing scheme, like from [key]/
>> [keyup]/[keyname] or [hidio].
>

>  I'd like to make a proposition with this attached object in
> construction, it uses different fonctions that ease handling to a
> window with EnumWindow() and FindWindow() function.
>  The user will only have to know the first characters of the window
> to handle, also a list of all visible windows can be printed into
> the console.
>  We can send a character or a character chain, but puredata will
> drop some keycodes if it's sent through a message box.
>  Now I need to find out how to do the same thing with X11, then it
> will be possible to have a single external with the same functions.
>
> Best.
> PC.<sendkey.zip>

Cool, that would be a handy objectclass to have cross-platform.  The
X11 version of this was posted on the list a while back, I think it
was called x11key from Alexandre Quessy.  I haven't seen the Mac OS X
version of this though...

----

Terrorism is not an enemy.  It cannot be defeated.  It's a tactic.
expect we're going to win that war.  We're not going to win the war
on terrorism.        - retired U.S. Army general, William Odom