[PD] netpd broken?

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Thu May 29 11:54:03 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 19:27 +1000, Max Neupert wrote:
> servus roman, list,
>
> i wanted to demonstrate netpd today here in melbourne and failed.
> on a intel mac os x 10.5:
> with a fresh pd-extended 0.4xx and downloaded netpd.zip i can open
> _chat.pd. then when i click on creator additionally a blank patch
> pops up called "pd cr.singletons" the console spills out:
>
>   netclient
> ... couldn't create
> error: inlet: expected '' but got 'connect'
> ... you might be able to track this down from the Find menu.
> error: pd-cr.singletons: no such object
>
> i can reproduce the same on my own machine os x 10.4 ppc.

[netclient] is part of maxlib. afaik, it should be found in
extra/maxlib. netpd/_chat.pd has a [declare] in order to add the path of
the maxlib folder. if it doesn't load, either [declare] on those
versions of pd-extended are broken or netclient was moved. i'll have a
look at that soon. probably it is just a matter of using an appropriate
[declare].

> also there is a small documentation bug:
>
> it reads:
> START netpd
>
> - start pd and open _chat.pd
> - click the 'settings'-bang
> - set your name
> - click the 'save and close'-bang
> - talk to other netpd-people and start a session
>
> there is no 'settings"-bang, it's called 'pref' and doesn't look like
> a bang.
> inside is a 'save&close' button.
>
> suggestion:
>
> - hit the 'pref'-button to set your preferences
> - set your name
> - hit 'save&close'

yeah, thanks for the report.

i am sorry, that you weren't able to use netpd. i am currently quite
busy with finishing my studies. i plan to spend more time on netpd (and
development) afterwards. then i would like also to fix the netpd.org
site, which was sadly spammed.

roman