[PD] Teaching Pd to Children

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Fri Jun 13 20:59:50 CEST 2008

Seems like a great opportunity for lots of fun Kyle.

I suppose you might start with simple linear data flows
in the message domain. Examples like

Convert Fahrenheit to Celsius
Convert Dollars to Euros

Then plot them into graphs

Up to then you can avoid triggers/ eval orders - once you
have covered triggers you can do

Find the average of N numbers
Vector magnitude sqrt(x*x + y*y*)

If you hide the innards of GEM and just call it a 'graphics
output routine' you could do equations of circle etc.

The beetle race and roulette wheel (on my site) were popular
and generated lots of discussion.

One example I thought would be easy actually turned out
quite hard in Pd - a desktop calculator (definitely an
advanced topic)

--
Use the source