[PD] Teaching Pd to Children

mark edward grimm mgrimm at syr.edu
Fri Jun 13 22:07:09 CEST 2008

Hi Kyle,

This is great! I have always thought PD was a great was to teach children the bridge between math and art....

I actually once gave my children (2 girls, 6 and 8 at the time) a brief PD tutorial and found them to be very creative and intuitive with the limited objects that I exposed them to.

I just showed them how to create objects, messages, bangs and number boxes and then how to patch them together - all through the menu, no key shortcuts. Then I gave them a few of the simplest object names (osc~, metro, random, dac~) and taught them a little randomization synth and how to create sounds with a number box + osc~.... all very simple stuff. Then I introduced the math objects (+, -, *, /) - nothing too fancy. And that was it for lesson One!

They played with this for a couple hours and built a really interesting patch that made some fun sound... they loved it and I found that with just a few simple tools children can really begin to experiment in different ways than we can - maybe they do not have the same institutional exposure of 'the right way' and 'the wrong way'? I have found that any method children can utilize to learn through personal exploration  and ENJOY learning is the 'right' way to learn...

After a bit you can see when they start to become a little bored and that is when you can begin to introduce new concepts and objects to keep their attention...

Worked for me!

This is just my personal case-study. It would be interesting if you documented your experiences in a research study maybe? PD and primary school education? It would be a good study for 'Studies in Art Education' or a similar education based journal....

cheers
mark

mark edward grimm | m.f.a | ed.m