[PD] saving state of a patch

Phil Stone pkstone at ucdavis.edu
Mon Jul 21 17:40:39 CEST 2008

Hi Atte,

I am currently using a mix of sssad and rradical/memento in my live
performance setup.  sssad is a little easier to implement, and works
great.  For a good working example, see Chris McCormick's
"s-abstraction" library.  Also, my [polywavesynth] uses sssad for
state-saving, and the help and example files show how to do this.
(See:  http://www.pkstonemusic.com/polyWaveSynth.html ; look at the [pd
sssadStuff] subpatch in particular, and see in [polywavesynth-example]
how to load and save presets).

rradical/memento uses [pool] in its default configuration.  Despite some
very slight inconveniences associated with getting [pool]*, it's well
worth it, as it's a very powerful hierarchical storage object. What it
brings to rradical/memento that sssad does not have is a "substate"
capability, which allows banks of presets, switchable by merely sending
a preset number.  This is very cool.

Frank Barknecht states in the documentation for rradical/memento that
the underlying storage object for memento could be something besides
[pool], but I must say that, personally speaking, modifying memento is
daunting.  For instance, I would like to change the organization of the
hierarchy so that it is possible to cut and paste presets, but the
hierarchy is not organized that way.

Luke Iannini has done a variation on memento called "semento" which adds
some very nice functionality, including auto-mapping to controllers.

All in all, state-saving on Pd is not really mature, and it would be
nice if there were an overall solution so that some standardization and
refinement could take place.   However, I think either sssad or
rradical/memento would serve your purposes quite well.

Best,

Phil Stone
pkstonemusic.com

* see this thread: