[PD] Idiomatic Pd

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Jul 29 09:13:38 CEST 2008

Luke Iannini wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 7:49 PM, Chris McCormick <chris at mccormick.cx> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 06:34:05PM -0700, Luke Iannini wrote:
>>> * Sends and Receives are written in camelCase, with "R" appended to
>>> complementary receives (e.g. in GUIs, $0mySlider for the send and
>>> $0mySliderR for the receive)
>> Will this even work? I think sends and receives have to be named the
>> same to work.
>>
> Yo, sorry, just poor wording on my part.  Usually when I make a GUI
> object, I give it $0mySlider as its sending target and $0mySliderR as
> its receiving target so I can choose to either route things through
> the slider (so it picks up the change to the parameter) or not, or, so

ähm, isn't this already built-into the iemgui objects?
i mean, it will just pick up values without passing them on so that no
feedback is generated, and if you actively use it (moving the slider) it
will send out things.

> I can send "set", "color" etc. messages to the slider without it going
> to the slider's destination.

right, the above mentioned built-in mechanism doesn't work so well with
special messages like "color".

> I know at least Hard-off does the same in his DIY2 library (which is
> fantastic, by the way).
>
>>> * When prepending $0 to a symbol, only add a "-" to separate it from
>>> another number, like [r $0-1stSend].  Otherwise the symbol should
>>> immediately follow, like [r $0mySend].
>> I like using a forward slash ("/") since this is forwards compatable
>> with the day when OSC externals make it into Vanilla Pd. ;)
> Aok by me.

hmm, even though there surely _are_ uses for a combination of OSC and
$0, i guess this is the least common field of application...

fmasdr
IOhannes