[PD] Recording MIDI data with PD as synch master

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Fri Aug 8 12:16:44 CEST 2008

Ignacio Viano wrote:
> Hello. I'm sending an enormous quantity of note messages through a virtual
> MIDI port out to some virtual orchestras. All messages are synchronized with
> a PD metronome that may vary. I want all this into an "as "good" as possible
> written score". Even this idea may not work at all. Of course, I could do it
> all manually by recording the raw MIDI messages, printing and transcribing
> them into score, but it should be easier. Any ideas?

I tried using mrpeach's [midifile] (which you send metro ticks to
control the recording) together with Lilypond's midi2ly tool, had mixed
results: due to my inexperience I couldn't figure out how to get midi2ly
to understand triplet rhythms - I'm sure it's possible - but the other
problem I had was relating to chords, I only had success with monophonic
voices each on their own MIDI channel.  It would probably have been
quicker to transcribe it by hand for my (short and simple) piece, but
not as fun a learning experience.

Claude
--
http://claudiusmaximus.goto10.org