[PD] problems with pd extended (0.40.3)

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Aug 8 16:35:08 CEST 2008

martin brinkmann wrote:
> Si Mills wrote:
>  > I've been using [expr~ ] as a workaround
>> eg. [expr~ $v1<0.5]
>
> ok, it is good to know that there is a workaround,

actually zexy provides the [>~] objects _additionally_ as abstraction
which do exactly this: wrap [expr~]

the only problem with this is, that you have to decide beforehand
whether you want to have signals or float (messages) on the right-hand
input.
that's the main reason why zexy also provides [>~] as an external object
(that allows both, depending on whether you specify a default argument -
just like [+~] and the like)

> and i will probably use the expr-method in the future
> for compatibility with 'pd vanilla'. but i am not
> looking forward to converting all my patches...
> thanks for your hint!

it's probably always a good idea to try to have a look inside 3rd-party
objects; sometimes they really are just abstractions and you can learn a
lot...

amdsr
IOhannes