[PD] sequencer app for osx

Luke Iannini lukexipd at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 02:26:09 CEST 2008

Yo Damien,
I've been working on exactly that for the past few months using Pd's
venerable data structures.  It has quantization, a piano underlay,
draggable notes, draggable lengths, draggable velocity, zooming X & Y,
draggable looping, the whole bit (layers coming soon, but you can of
course run many of them side by side; I'm working on a synchronization
system since running multiple instances makes it more fun to do
polyrhythms).  Thanks to some wonderful shortcuts Miller built in to
DS arrays, you can add and remove notes (and even shift groups of
notes) really easily.

But, there are some bugs in Pd that prevent it from being everyday
usable... the two major ones are that the notes are in a "quantized DS
array" (for performance reasons), which exposes a very painful
interaction bug where dragging is just close enough to working to be
horribly frustrating, and editing the notes (to change lengths or
velocity) only really works for the notes closest to time 0.  And,
finally, Z-ordering is undefined and gets screwed up every time you
open the window (but, I've worked around that one for the most part
with some hacks).

So, I'll wrap it up and post it after I locate all the stuff necessary
to run it.  It should convince you that such a thing is most
definitely attainable in Pd, and perhaps Miller will be so excited
that his language for the future of music is being used to make a
30-year old interface, that he will go fix the bugs immediately : )

(I promise though Miller, my actual goal is to build a happy
environment for both traditional grid-note-editing and graphical type
stuff like in 4.data.structures/07.sequencer)

Back soon,
Luke