[PD] how to use [tcpserver] in a non-OSC context?

Bryan Jurish moocow at ling.uni-potsdam.de
Wed Aug 13 22:42:38 CEST 2008

moin Martin, moin Roman,

On 2008-08-13 19:25:20, Martin Peach <martin.peach at sympatico.ca> appears
to have written:
> Roman Haefeli wrote:

> Yes, maybe a [serialize] and [unserialize] would be a good idea.
> [unserialize] would take a list of integer floats, interpret them as
> ascii,  and convert it to a single symbol, and [serialize] would take a
> symbol and convert it to a list of integer floats on [0..255].
> Converting floats and lists raises problems though (should a float be
> converted to its ascii or binary representation? How to tell if a list
> of floats is meant to be decoded as symbols or floats?).
>
> I think [moocow/any2string] and [moocow/string2any] already do this,

yep, that's pretty much exactly what they do, except [string2any]
outputs a list, rather than a single symbol (...but you can always patch
it into [list2symbol] from zexy if you need a single symbol).  for
non-symbol arguments, [any2string] does whatever t_binbuf does (probably
truncating floats, performing dollar-substitutions, etc...).

> but
> I can't tell right now because they don't seem to be in my Pd
> 0.40.3-extended-20080719, or I'm not looking in the right place.

looking at the debian-stable and debian-testing debs  from 2008-07-19,
they ought to live in /usr/lib/pd/extra/moocow/any2string.pd_linux rsp.
/usr/lib/pd/extra/moocow/any2string.pd_linux.  the only pd-extended
system on which my externals still don't build in windoof/mingw32,
because that box is still using a broken version of make.  what system
are you using, Martin?

There are also (probably old and stale, possibly broken) copies in
/usr/lib/pd/extra/flatspace, which should probably just get deleted
(along with sprinkler).  I assume these come from externals/build/src;
I'll just go ahead and remove them and see if anyone hollers...

marmosets,
	Bryan

--
Bryan Jurish                           "There is *always* one more bug."
jurish at ling.uni-potsdam.de      -Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology