[PD] extended compilation nightmares...

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 16:32:20 CEST 2008

hey michael,
heads up!
since http://puredata.info/docs/developer/SUSE is not helpful at all,
maybe the thing that comes closest to it is trying to go with
http://puredata.info/docs/developer/Debian. esp. to see which externals
rely on which libraries. if you don't get all these libraries, then pdx
will not build. the libraries can have slightly different names on suse
than on debian, but suse's installation tool (yast?) should be able to
find all of them.
suse also puts stuff in different directories than debian, so that might
also cause problems during compilation, but this is less likely.

here's what I did for OSX, maybe this will also work for SUSE (???).
I got pdx from the autobuild farm.
rsync -av --delete rsync://128.238.56.50/distros/pd-extended/ pd-extended/

and then run the script
cd /path/to/pd-extended/scripts/auto-build
./pd-extended-auto-builder.sh

this will check for updates (or download everything again???) and then
try to build everything.

my guess is that getting all the libraries, troubleshooting compiling
errors and fixing problems will take you 2-3 days minimum. (getting pdx
compiling on os x 10.5 took me weeks!)

otoh, compiling pd vanilla should not be a problem at all (will take you
like 15 minutes).
maybe this is also useful for you?
http://puredata.hurleur.com/sujet-820-suse-x86-issues

marius.