[PD] extended compilation nightmares...

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Aug 17 17:02:32 CEST 2008

Hallo,
michael noble hat gesagt: // michael noble wrote:

> Why, after downloading a package called "source" (
> http://downloads.sourceforge.net/pure-data/Pd-0.40.3-extended.tar.bz2), do I
> then need to download the source via a cvs download script
> (Pd-0.40.3-extended/scripts/checkout-developer-layout.sh)?  Or do I not need
> to download the latter and only make the former (which seems to fail for
> want of Gem, which I don't really want anyway)?

Personally I'd say, that if you don't need Gem, you may be someone who
doesn't need many other externals, either, so maybe you want to go with
a lean and mean install of Pd vanilla and only install other externals
when you find that you really need them? That's what I do: I only use
special purpose externals like Gem or pmpd or OSC (and Lua a lot).
"Normal" stuff I do in plain Pd as abstractions, which has the advantage
of being very cross-platform and without any dependencies.

Building Pd vanilla is a snap on Linux in whichever flavour. Just grab
the latest source package from Miller's site, make sure you have the
devel packages for ALSA and Tcl/Tk installed, then do "configure && make
&& make install".

Ciao
--
Frank