[PD] [ot] managing distributed development

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 05:28:27 CEST 2008

I think methods of development (and evolution) have not changed during
the last 4 billion years. how we view them and think about them has
changed. the question for me is, why is it so much more important today
to point out that development is never done by one single individuum but
is a process that includes a lot of people adding and evaluating
thousands of tiny and comprehensive steps?
to be honest, I think that we (the first world colonialists) have a
growing fear that we will not survive on this planet without the "help"
of the rest of the world. uptight as we are, we are now trying to
"allow" everyone to take part in development, whereas in reality we are
trying to make everyone responsible for the problems of the world.
but then, in practice it *is* the individual effort and progress that
sums up development. and it's individuums who take responsibility.
regarding Pd, managing resources could make things more
efficient/faster/target oriented. and competition could also speed
things up. but it could also lead to totally useless and prestigious
attempts like me wanting to walk on the moon!
marius.