[PD] recirculating delay line reverberation time calculation

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Mon Sep 1 16:39:59 CEST 2008

Hi all again,

I think I found a reasonable solution, after reading around page 74 of
this document:

Introduction to Sound Processing by Davide Rocchesso

http://profs.sci.univr.it/~rocchess/SP/sp.pdf

----8<---- begin quote

In practice, once we have constructed a lossless FDN prototype, we must
insert attenuation coefficients and filters in the feedback loop. For
instance, following the indications of Jot [45], we can cascade every
delay line with a gain

     g_i = a^m_i             // m_i is delay line length in samples

This corresponds to replacing D(z) with D(z/a) in (42). With this choice
of the attenuation coefficients, all the poles are contracted by the
same factor a. As a consequence, all the modes decay with the same rate,
and the reverberation time (defined for a level attenuation of 60dB) is
given by

     Td = -3 Ts / log a      // Ts is 1/samplerate

----8<---- end quote

That gives a different attenuation for each delay, but such that the
"decay per sample" is constant for all of the delay lines, which makes
the reverb time calculations much easier!

     gain_i = 10^(-3 * delay_i / reverbTime)

where delay_i and reverbTime are measured in the same unit (eg: ms).

Claude