[PD] split symbol

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Mon Oct 13 17:22:05 CEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 16:53 +0100, Hans Roels wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to split a symbol in Pd vanilla? F.e. I want to get
> the number 1 out of the send name 'pitch-1'  I found some references
> about externals in this mailing list but not a solution in plain Pd.
> Is it impossible or has somebody found a trick?

the only way i know is to use some [makefilename] trickery. there is a
way to get a certain character out of a symbol.

a simple and easy and primarily flexible solution is still missing,
unfortunately. string processing is not pd's main goal. however, since
pd 0.40 it became possible to concatenate symbols freely, so in order to
complete pd's (admittedly limited) string processing capabilities, only
this little piece (splitting symbols) is missing. i asked miller several
times to include something for that task without success. as simple
things as getting the file  name from an absolute path is not possible
yet in plain vanilla because of that :-(

roman