[PD] 'argument number out of range' error in Miller Puckette's example patches

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Oct 14 12:12:18 CEST 2008

Lao Yu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can't resolve this - in the example patch folder 2.control.examples
> the example 10.more.messages has to the lower right a message
>
> ;
> number9 $1;
> 9bis $2
>
> which generates the above message when activated. the other examples
> with $1 and $2 in the same patch, for instance just before the
> [print] object work fine. I wouldn't see anything wrong in the example.
> The same error is generated in example 13.locality in the same folder
> (upon opening the example). I'm aware that this example is a
> different case because the $ sign is used in an object whereas in the
> previous example it is in a message box. However it may be the same
> error?

there's nothing wrong with the behaviour you are experiencing.
the thing is: you shouldn't click directly on the message-box containing
the $args, but rather click on the message-box above it.
the $1 and $2 will be "magically" replaced by 45, resp. 67, which is
what the example is trying to show you.
dreictly clicking on the message-box will not provide any arguments to
replace the $args, this is why you get the error-message.

mfg.asdr#
IOhannes