[PD] Scope of [block~] and [switch~]

Charles Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 01:15:36 CEST 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 10:42 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:
> Miller Puckette wrote:
>>
>> Also the default upsampling algorithm is incorrect - if you upsaple by
>> 2, for instance, incoming signals get interleaved with zeros, which does
>> not result in a unity DC gain.  I've been fretting over whether this
>> should be changed (incompatibly!) to make it "correct' or just leave it wrong.
>
> personally i would just change it.
> if somebody relies on a certain upsampling algorithm, they should
> explicitely specify so in the creation arguments.
> (or even better, use a separate object that fills the gaps in the
> zero-padded signal with something more sophisticated)

only tricky part about it, is that the method to perform
interpolation/extrapolation on the zero-padded signal depends on the
upsampling ratio.   A separate object would have to be passed (or
query for) the upsampling ratio.

There is a method by fft, that will perform extrapolation as well as
interpolation during upsampling--it's limitation is that the points at
the ends of the block may not have continuity between blocks
(OTOH--this problem is always there).
For an upsampling ratio of k and original size n:
Take the fft of the signal at the original rate, multiply by k, pad
the end with k*(n-1) zeros and take the ifft.  O(kn*log(kn))

4-point interpolation is nearly trivial--there's still the problem of
what to do at the end points.  However, given that it has a fixed
rate, coefficients for interpolation can be calculated beforehand.
Then, it takes 4 multiplies and 3 adds per zero.  Total: 4*n*(k-1)
multiplies and 3*n*(k-1) adds.

Both methods could be optimally coded by omitting the
zero-interleaving step.  But it comes down to--what representation is
most useful?  Why go to all the trouble of interpolating, if what you
really want is a zero-interleaved signal?  Why zero-interleave first,
and interpolate second?

So, I would favor an optional creation argument for specifying an
interpolation method in place of the zero-interleaving step.

Chuck