[PD] [Gnome/Ubuntu] Gem video on external screen

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Thu Oct 23 09:45:40 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 11:14 +0800, Simon Wise wrote:
> On 23 Oct 2008, at 6:41 AM, Martin . wrote:
>
> > Actually, the CPU bit is not true. Its at 50-60% regardless, sorry for
> > the noise.
> >
> > Still though, I guess the main issue is that Gem crashes upon loading
> > videos into pix_film. Anyone know a way to track the reason for Gem
> > troubles?
> >
> > cheers,
> > Martin
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 12:24 AM, Martin .
> > <blindmanonacid at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Im a bit desperate to find a way to play video on an external screen
> >> without Gem (or even X/Gnome) crashing.
> >>
> >> Ive set up xorg.conf to a virtual screensize of the double
> >> horizontally so as to have a projector read the video from the "right
> >> part" of the screen, and still have my GUIs visible on the "left
> >> part"
> >> (what is visible on my laptop screen).
> >>

> you will probably need to set xorg for two separate displays, and one
> of these can be 3D accelerated, I usually start pd with Gem from the
> display with the projector, and control it with another pd started on
> the other display. This has worked well with 4 screens from 2 NVIDIA
> cards uswing debian, I guess it would be also ok with an intel
> chipset, as it does not rely on twinview or any other fancy graphics
> stuff. Alternatively I believe Gem can open a gemwin on a different
> display to the one pd was started on, check the list archives as I
> have not tried this.

if you have to separate x displays running, you can start pd and its gui
on the first screen and by sending 'create :0.1' (or whatever id the
second display has) to [gemwin] you can create the gem window on the
external screen/projector.

i made different experiences with different video cards. with an ati
radeon mobility 9600 i was only able to have 3d acceleration on the
first head. with several nvidia cards i managed to have hardware
acceleration running on both heads. you probably find more info about
how to set up 3d acceleration on the ubuntu wiki. gem should print
something like 'GEM: Direct Rendering enabled!', when you start the
rendering, if 3d acceleration works.

roman