[PD] port number with comport on XP

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Thu Nov 6 15:03:42 CET 2008

altern wrote:
> hi
>
> i am using pd 0.39 extended on XP to control arduino via pduino. Every
> time I restart my computer and plug Arduino it comes as port COM13 and i
> have to go and change its name to COM2 in the windows hardware manager.
> Otherwise i get error when i try to connect to port 13

I didn't know you could change the name of a COM in Windows.
With [comport] you can use up to COM99 and they will all work if there
is a port connected. Are you superstitious ? ;) What error do you get?

> I guess this question has little to do with PD itself but, is there a
> way to make sure that it always uses port COM2 by default?

If you want [comport] to use COM2, just make a [comport 2] object.
Or make a [comport 13] to have it connect to the arduino. USB comports
may be assigned different numbers by the OS depending on the order you
connect them in and which USB slot you use.

Martin