[PD] why no quoting mechanism?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Feb 4 21:24:52 CET 2009

On Feb 4, 2009, at 1:01 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Miller Puckette wrote:
>> I think backslashes and curly brackets are dropped - plus, of
>> course, there's
>> no way to deal with character sets.  This is intimately mixed up
>> with another
>> long-standing need to simplify the way stuff gets sent to the GUI -
>> preferably
>> in a way that would allow plugging totally non-TK GUIs in front if/
>> when the
>> oportunity or necessity comes.  So this will be a major re-code,
>> probably
>> warranting its own release number.
>
> you mean like: 0.43 or like 1.0?
>
> (like many others(?)) i would definitely be interested in this,
> eventually spending coding time.

I also would contribute code, but first I think we need to figure out
what to code, and figuring out what to code seems to the be the
hardest problem.  To me it doesn't seem so hard, most of it is pretty
straightforward, but I am sure there are key sticky bits that are the
real problem, I am just not aware of what those sticky bits are.

In the process of rewriting the GUI, handling this stuff doesn't seem
very difficult, Tcl is pretty good at escaping text, and it is already
UTF-8 throughout.

One thing, quotes seem pretty natural to me as a way of quoting
symbols with spaces, for example.  Perhaps we could use the Tcl-style
{} for quotes since they are currently not used at all in Pd.  The
other one is "" double quotes since basically every programming
language uses them for some kind of quoting.

"It is convenient to imagine a power beyond us because that means we
don't have to examine our own lives.", from "The Idols of
Environmentalism", by Curtis White