[PD] why no quoting mechanism?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Feb 4 22:13:38 CET 2009

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>> (like many others(?)) i would definitely be interested in this,
>> eventually spending coding time.
>
> I also would contribute code, but first I think we need to figure out
> what to code, and figuring out what to code seems to the be the hardest
> problem.

definitely.
i didn't propose anything here (apart from my rant about no tcl code
being allowed in a C-file in a previous mail) since i am currently busy
doing other things and i am not even sure whether a mailing list is a
good medium for such things. nor an IRC chat. nor "just coding".

> To me it doesn't seem so hard, most of it is pretty
> straightforward, but I am sure there are key sticky bits that are the
> real problem, I am just not aware of what those sticky bits are.
>
> In the process of rewriting the GUI, handling this stuff doesn't seem
> very difficult, Tcl is pretty good at escaping text, and it is already
> UTF-8 throughout.
>
> One thing, quotes seem pretty natural to me as a way of quoting symbols
> with spaces, for example.  Perhaps we could use the Tcl-style {} for
> quotes since they are currently not used at all in Pd.  The other one is

personally i am more a fan of using {} for grouping lists as is the
tcl-style as well (and i think the confusion in tcl whether one should
use "" or {} really a bad thing)
however, if Pd is not meant to have any nested lists ever, this would of
course be no problem.

fgmasdr
IOhannes