[PD] exporting gem structures to cad

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Tue Feb 10 19:25:40 CET 2009

punchik punchik wrote:
> Hello, i was  experimenting with gem combining diferent generatives techniques to create 3d iterative complex shapes. I would like to use these structures for architecture and I was wondering if its possible to export the generated structures to other 3d modelling software or maybe to autocad, so the structures generated can be built in the real world.
> Do anybody have tried something like this?
>

> In processing theres a library that allows to export 3d opengl shapes into dxf format that can be loaded in autocad, how difficult can it making something like this in pd?  "http://www.processing.org/reference/libraries/dxf/index.html"
>
> I was thinking that it would be possible to iterate over all the repeated geos in each shape and with gem_listinfo extract the information matrix corresponding to each geo, and then store into a text file , then use that info to rebuild the shapes in other program like autocad.
>
> Do anybody have tried something like this?

I did something similar once, but for a special case of 2D with only a
small number of [square]s (up to 8 or so).  But the principle I used (or
that I would use now, if I were doing it again) is basically: wrap each
kind of geo in an abstraction, like [cad_square] instead of using
[square], that uses the Gemlist info to work out where it is in space,
then send a message with that info (plus what kind of geo it is) to a
receiver (which might write it to a textfile or do something else with
it).  Optionally have a pre-render bang and a post-render bang for any
headers/footers that the file format needs, and remember that you might
need to get colours / materials too (I guess the GEMglVoodoo will do the
trick there).

In my case I used pdlua to directly write a graphgrow-engine input file,
while using Pd+Gem to generate realtime previews using texture feedback.

A blog post about that:
http://claudiusmaximus.goto10.org/cm/2008-03-23_graphgrow_realtime_preview.html

Some possibly-no-longer-working code:
svn export https://code.goto10.org/svn/maximus/2008/gg/ gg

> any idea would be aprreciated

I think you're on the right track, but I don't know if there's an
existing exporter.

Claude
--
http://claudiusmaximus.goto10.org