[PD] Array that scrolls from right to left

Sebastien Lelong sebastien.lelong at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 14:44:29 CET 2009

Hi Frank, hi guys,

Many, many thanks for your explanation and your example ! I've finally
understood how to use [trigger] objects and store value in a [float] (I have
to admit I needed quite a lot of time, a paper and a pen: I must be very
slow "thinking in Pd" :)). Indeed, a nice exercise.

I have one question though (not related to [trigger]). In your example, as
in Martin's, you use $0-a16 to name the array. I understand $0 is used when
building an abstraction and creating multiple instances of this abstraction.
My question is how can I configure this array, from the parent (from the
patch using the abstraction) ? For instance, I'd like to add "xticks",
"ylabel", etc... I usually use a message, like:
_________________
[array1 ylabel -1 0 1 (

but the same with $0-a16 obsviously doesn't work, since $0 is not known (I
understand it's a counter incremented at each creation). Is this possible to
do this ?

Cheers,
Seb

Hallo,
> Sebastien Lelong hat gesagt: // Sebastien Lelong wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your help. I'm getting things that "kind of" scroll...
> building
> > an horrible patch :) Some values are random, I guess I have a problem
> when
> > access extremities of the array. I'm sure there's something simpler,
> > probably using trigger, but I can't figure out how I could use a trigger
> > here. Could you give one last hint ? I guess I need to learn how to
> "think"
> > pure data...
>
> Indeed: Understanding triggering and execution order brings you much
> closer to "thinking in Pd". There are only two things to remember: The
> left inlet of (most) objects is hot, the right is cold and lets you
> use an object as a storage container.
>
> OTOH the right outlet of (most) objects fires before the left one.
> This holds especially true for the [trigger] object whose main purpose
> is to control the order in that your patch cords get activated.
>
> Both facts are nicely combined in the scrolling table solution in the
> attached patch. The top [trigger] object shows how sometimes in Pd you
> have to think far ahead: Its right outlet stores a number in a float
> object below that gets used much later.
>
> The lower trigger object (abbreviated as [t ...]) shows another common
> idiom: It's followed by crossed patch cords. You will often see this
> when something is stored for a moment and the previously stored value
> is used instead.
>
> Anyway the attachement shouldn't be to hard to folllow with its
> comments, but feel free to ask any questions. "Getting it" is
> important here. :)
>
> Ciao
> --
>  Frank Barknecht            Do You RjDj.me?          _ ______footils.org__