[PD] Loading order of pd objects

Jaime Oliver jaime.oliver2 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 06:27:48 CET 2009

hi all,

What I do when I have abstractions that I can't predict how they will be
patched in the future and order is important, is to have the loading order
as an argument for abstractions at loading time and connect that variable to
a del, so that I have del 1, del 2, del 3, etc.
In fixed patches (that won't change in the future) I use something like:

[loadbang]

[t  b  b]
|         \
[s lb1] [s lb2] [etc....]

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Robert Gründler <doobre at gmail.com> wrote:

> the problem i'm facing is the following:
>
> i'm trying to write an extension to pd which allows people to create custom
> gui objects that can communicate with the underlying pd patch.
>
> So far i've a prototype where i use Gtk+ for the gui, and the communication
> works fine so far.
>
> But that's where the loading order of objects become important. First i
> need to
> create the canvas object in pd, and then i can create additional objects
> which
> add user interface objects inside the gtk canvas.
>
> If i can't rely on a specific loading order in future implementations of
> pd, a workaround
> would be that a simple gtk gui widget would first check if there's a
> canvas existing,
> and if that's not the case, it needs to create one itself. But i'm not
> sure if i can create pd
> objects in a patch programmatically.
>
> I'd also be glad about feedback from the pd community if such an
> extension would be
> considered useful in general.
>

> best
>
> -robert
>

> Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > Hallo,
> > Robert Gr?ndler hat gesagt: // Robert Gr?ndler wrote:
> >

> >> For example when i create a patch with 2 objects that are not connected
> >> in any way,
> >> in which order will they be created by pd when the patch is loaded ?
> >>

> > The order you created them, but it's very bad practice to rely on that,
> > because it's an implementation detail that may change in future
> > versions and it's generally error prone because you cannot see the
> > creation order.
> >
> > You can test this with an abstraction that prints something with a
> > loadbang, like:
> >
> > testme.pd:
> >
> >  [loadbang]
> >  [f $1]