[PD] string2any in arduino.pd is now broken

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Feb 27 18:25:00 CET 2009

On Feb 12, 2009, at 4:55 AM, Bryan Jurish wrote:

> morning all,
>
> On 2009-02-12 10:42:10, Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> appears to
> have written:
>> Hallo,
>> Hans-Christoph Steiner hat gesagt: // Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>>> So I have been happily using the string2any object in my arduino
>>> object and it works well.   But it seems that something has changed,
>>> and it now causes a freak out on load:
>>>
>>> string2any_setup(): WARNING: names are in flux!
>>> string2any_setup(): Prefer [bytes2any] over [string2any].
>>> bytes2any: pdstring version 0.09 by Bryan Jurish
>>> moocow/string2any: already loaded
>>> ... snip (repeat 1000 times) ...
>>> moocow/string2any: already loaded
>>> error: maximum object loading depth 1000 reached
>>
>> Isn't this the issue with hexloader reported some time ago? Does it
>> fail on vanilla or a pd-extended with no libs loaded as well?
>
> Hmm... I'm not familiar with the hexloader bug you mention.  In trying
> to maintain maximal backwards-compatibility, I set up [pdstring] in
> single-object-external mode (which pd-extended uses) to install
> "any2string.pd_whatever" as a symlink to "any2bytes.pd_whatever".
> Additionally, any2bytes.c contains an "any2string_setup()" function as
> well as a runtime check to prevent multiple setup() calls.
>
> Is the problem due to the use of a symlink (e.g. does it persist if
> moocow/string2any.pd_linux is a copy of moocow/bytes2any.pd_linux?)
> Or
> is every solution ultimately relying on class_addcreator() doomed to
> failure?  I can make [string2any] just an abstraction wrapping
> [bytes2any] as well; I just anticipated interference from old
> installations with that trick...

Windows doesn't have symlinks, so that's why this doesn't work on
Windows.  I think MinGW's "ln -s" is supposed to make a copy, cygwin's
"ln -s" will make a Windows "Shortcut" but they only act like symlinks
when in Cygwin.  But it sounds likely that there is something amiss
with this symlinking stuff.

Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally
for machines to execute.
  - from Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs