[PD] Mouse Control...

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Mar 16 18:57:53 CET 2009

Video tracking is tricky, but the basics are not too hard.  In the Pd-
extended Help Browser, check out these patches:

manuals -> 2.Image -> 17.tracking.pd
examples -> Gem -> 04.video -> 03.movement_detection.pd

I am guessing the first is the one you want, its based on background
subtractions, which is a widely used technique.

.hc

On Mar 16, 2009, at 12:53 PM, Simon Ball wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I'm having trouble realising an idea. I've got the software running
> (mac book pro) and managed to play with some of the examples,
> however I am new to PD, so bare with me!
>
> I'm trying to generate a composition of images that float in 3D
> space. I want the images or layers to move and rotate towards areas
> of a screen where movement is detected. I don't need to track
> specific points of motion, simply to judge where movement is taking
> place. I think this will involve reading frames and analysing
> changes in pixels. Does that make sense?
>
> I plan to use a mini DV camera to run this, on a high contrast
> background, although I've seen a similar method of recording
> movement with a webcam and processing, which worked pretty well. (http://vimeo.com/1948430?pg=embed&sec=
>  - tracks changes in pixels, although I'm not sure how).
>
> I assume that this will involve some sort of trigonometry to move
> images towards points where motion is detected, although I'm not
> sure how to apply this in PD. Also, how to I generate a floating
> effect, much like 'easing' does in animation software. And can this
> work with 3D, mapped images in PD?
>
> I hope thats clear, if a little broad, let me know you need any
> further info.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions/solutions.
>
> Simon
>
> Simon Ball

All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies,
one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better
language; and every chapter must be so translated.... -John Donne