[PD] GEM on Linux netbook

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 17:47:13 CET 2009

On Linux the Nvidia GPU is the way to go for GEM.  You could probably get
acceptable performance for basic GEM use from the Acer, but what takes most
of the CPU to do with the Intel GMA processor barely taxes a modern GPU.
For example, I have measured performance between a MacBook/Mac Mini and
MacBook Pro where the Pro was 40x faster because of the GPU!

There are netbooks with NV chips in them, but they cost a little more:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220385

cgc