[PD] symbolarray

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Apr 17 15:52:33 CEST 2009

Hallo,
lsw hat gesagt: // lsw wrote:

> Looks pretty useful. Also a great structures example.

Btw.: To fill the symbolarray [list-enumerate] from [list]-abs is great.

[symbolarray] also is pretty fast if you have to lookup something in large
lists. I tested it with an arraysize of 100,000,000 elements, which takes
roughly 300 MB RAM according to my system monitor (with all elements except the
last one empty).  Creating the array takes several seconds, but looking up the
final element happens instantly afterwards.

The other Pd-vanilla ways I know to implement this are textfile-dumps with
"rewind"+[until] or [select]-constructs or [list-idx], which all are unusable
with arrays of these sizes.

And of course the patch can be modified to look up any kind of list whose
structure is known.

Now we still need maps/hashes.

Ciao
--