[PD] pix_video appears to crash PD when running on Leopard

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Fri May 1 18:07:55 CEST 2009

I use pix_video with my built-in webcam quite a bit with no problems.
So I am guessing that the issue is triggered by your capture card.
Try a regular USB webcam using macam drivers as a test.  If that works
fine, then it is most likely something related to the capture card.
Perhaps there is a driver update for it?

.hc

On May 1, 2009, at 10:41 AM, james murray wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had originally posted this within the PD/GEM forums but haven't
> gotten any traction/responses to my question and thought perhaps the
> list might have a more lively response.
>
> I recently had a G5 tower upgraded to Leopard while being serviced
> by Apple (I wasn't asked if this was wanted and it wasn't because of
> concerns I had about PD running smoothly on Leopard) and cannot
> downgrade the OS due to lost install discs.
>
> I upgraded my PD Extended vers. to 0.40.3 as had been recommended in
> the Forums and although I can get PD to open and access libraries
> properly I've run into a problem with getting certain works made on
> Tiger to function properly with the pix_video object.  I'm running
> the piece using a BlackMagic Intensity Pro video card it should be
> noted.  When the patch in question is opened it crashes after five
> or six seconds... Deleting the pix_video object appears to stop the
> crashing, but obviously it needs to be there in order for the piece
> to work.
>
> Has anyone else been running into video capture issues with Leopard/
> PD Extended 0.40.3 and BlackMagic (or any other variation of them)?
> Is there a work-around object/alternate object that I could try
> using to avoid this and actually have a stable piece to run?
>
> Any help/insight would be huge.  Thanks in advance.

Access to computers should be unlimited and total.  - the hacker ethic