[PD] Abstraction load time

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Tue May 12 12:39:29 CEST 2009

Hi,

Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
>      I've been doing a lot of dynamic patching and notice that using abstractions slows down the process immensely.

That's because Pd tries to load the abstraction from everywhere in its
-path (which can be a large number of places), then parses the text and
uses it to create obects - all of this EVERY time it is instanced.

>      Why is it that test-abs.pd is so much slower than test-sp.pd (which just creates chains of internal objects in a subpatch)?
>      Is there any way this could be sped up in future versions of pd?  I find dynamic patching to be a powerful idiom when used with abstractions, but its kind of clunky right now because of the lengthy creation time.

A quick and dirty attempt at caching abstractions in memory:

http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-dev/2008-10/012334.html

Also, I haven't checked the patches you attached, I hope you're turning
dsp off before doing the dynamic patching and turning it on again (if
desired) afterwards, otherwise the dsp graph is rebuilt after every
object instead of just once (as far as I understand it).

Claude
--
http://claudiusmaximus.goto10.org