[PD] crash in readanysf~ 0.33

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sat May 23 04:45:00 CEST 2009

On May 22, 2009, at 6:11 PM, august wrote:

>>> I don't think there are any plans to make a release any time soon.
>>> leider.
>>

>> Hmm, I think its probably best to then to check the avdec sources
>> into
>> the same folder as readanysf~ and build it from there.  Its not
>> included
>> in Debian, Ubuntu, or Fedora.  Then once it is included, that
>> source can
>> be removed.  The rest of the dependencies are in Debian, Ubuntu,
>> Fedora,
>> and Fink, I think, so they can be used that way.
>
> What would be the advantage of doing that?
>
> we just put in a lot of effort to make the fink packages...and they
> should work just fine.   why don't we keep it like it is and not do
> extra work, extra svn magic.  the latest commits to gmerlin_avdec will
> be released soon enough.
>
> also, debian users can use debian packages from
> http://debian-multimedia.org
>
> or better yet, how about making a package for Mac and win that
> includes
> the linked libraries as binaries?   Or, do you want to make a giant
> static build?   I still don't understand how the binary packages are
> made on mac and win.

We could check the CVS code into the 'sources' and build that for
Windows, and we could also make a Fink package based on a CVS
tarball.  But then we'd be without avdec packages for Fedora and
Ubuntu, and Debian users would be required to setup Debian Multimedia
to use Pd-extended.  And the Debian Multimedia packages wouldn't have
the movie crasher bug fix either.

So for about the same work as importing the source code and building
it for Windows, we can have the most recent avdec on all platforms.
Then once there is another release of avdec, I'll happily update the
Fink package.  And once avdec makes it into Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora,
we can use it there.

 From my experience, the easiest path to supporting readanysf~ on all
of the Pd-extended platforms would be to import the avdec code into
the pure-data SVN and then set it up to build there.  That is, unless
IOhannes wants to deploy Gem using gmerlin_avdec sooner rather than
later.  That might change things somewhat.  But then it might be
easier to use the old "GemLibs" style of including an external lib.

There is no way to peace, peace is the way.       -A.J. Muste