[PD] Slow cpu/RJDJ patching approach ...

danomatika danomatika at gmail.com
Tue May 26 14:53:22 CEST 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 08:34 -0400, chris clepper wrote:

> On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 6:03 PM, danomatika <danomatika at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>         I've been running pd on my slow wearable (500Mhz) and, over
>         the last year, the performance has gotten worse.  This trend
>         coincides with my greater understanding of pd and adoption of
>         nice GOP guis.
>

> The first live video processing system I built in 2001 with Casey Rice
> used 400Mhz machines, and we had no problems with doing what we wanted
> to do.  It required a lot of research into the video medium, OS APIs,
> and this frustrating black box called Nato.  Once you understand the
> limits of what you are dealing with, forget about them and get down to
> work.

Yeah, I'm definitely learning this.  I do enjoy the creative limitations
actually, it's just that things ran "so much better" a year ago with
Ubuntu Hardy + Pd-extended 0.39 ... Perhaps I'm at the point where I
just need to reimplement what I have now in C/C++ using rt audio, etc
but that would take time of course.  I originally started using pd just
to prototype anyway ...

---
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com