[PD] Help Docs: element vs. item

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 10 03:49:43 CEST 2009

--- On Sun, 8/9/09, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:

> From: Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Help Docs: element vs. item
> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> Date: Sunday, August 9, 2009, 9:37 PM
>
> That's a good point and a tough question.  It should
> be consistently documented, but its not totally clear
> how.  My guess right now, says that atom selectors
> should not be considered an 'element'.  So these would
> be both 3 element lists:
>
> list one two three
> 1 2 3
>
> Check the Pd Definitions wiki on http://puredata.info/dev for some discussion on this
> stuff.  And please add anything there that you think
> should be there.

On the Pd Definitions wiki, they are referred to as elements, and I've
already changed the reference patches to reflect this.  Because of the
way they are laid out, I don't think there is any ambiguity between first element and selector in the help patches (I don't think "selector" is
used in any of them, but I'll check and make sure).

Each help patch also has a common [help] abstraction at the bottom, which
has a place for definitions.  I haven't gotten to it yet, but when I do
I'll explore the definitions wiki in more detail.

-Jonathan