[PD] Pd-GUI-Rewrite test builds

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Fri Sep 4 22:08:10 CEST 2009

Sounds like good stuff. I tried it on Mac OS X using Pd-extended
0.41.4, there are some ttk:style statements not wrapped in the Tcl/Tk
8.5 test around line 414, so that caused problems with 8.4. On Mac OS
X, the font is a bit weird and others things are too.  That's the pain
of cross-platform programming...

Anyway, I think the way forward is for you to adapt your changes to
the new GUI code.  You could either do it as 'diff' patches or I think
it would be possible to make it a plugin so you can only worry about a
single platform.

Here's more info that, if you look in the pd/startup/disabled folder
you can see an example called 'gtklook.tcl' which uses the 'option'
system to mess with the look:
http://puredata.info/dev/PdGuiRewrite

.hc

On Sep 4, 2009, at 3:19 PM, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:

> Hans (and others),
>
> Attached is teh GUI rewrite I did this summer which also ports
> existing
> GUI into the tcl/tk 8.5 with following features:
>
> 1) code setup so that the 8.4 systems remain unaffected (this has not
> been fully tested)
> 2) new linux theme built on clam theme (not sure if this is its right
> name)
> 3) easy altering of the color scheme (see top of the script, currently
> configured to use Ubuntu human)
> 4) all Pd widgets ported to 8.5
> 5) new color picker widget for Linux (as tcl/tk has only 8.4 version
> of
> it so it makes it look ultra-ugly in comparison with others) with
> color
> saving options
> 6) other widget/style clean-up to make it more consistent
> 7) pd opens in minimial form (console closed) for performance mode
> 8) added console clean button (when in expanded view)
> 9) bunch of error-checking and bug-fixes (e.g. windows closing when
> done
> etc.)
>
> Needless to mention this thing looks a lot nicer to my eyes than the
> old
> version. Finally, my apologies for not forward you this sooner
> (blame it
> on summer vacation and then beginning of a new semester if you
> like :-)
>
> Let me know if you have any questions.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Ivica Ico Bukvic, D.M.A.
> Composition, Music Technology
> Director, DISIS Interactive Sound & Intermedia Studio
> Assistant Co-Director, CCTAD
> CHCI, CS, and Art (by courtesy)
> Virginia Tech
> Department of Music
> Blacksburg, VA 24061-0240
> (540) 231-6139
> (540) 231-5034 (fax)
> ico.bukvic.net
> <pd.tk>

realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either
change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams