[PD] [pd REFERENCE] format [was: Re: Pd META: Author/Help Patch Authors]

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Sep 6 01:34:50 CEST 2009

On Sat, 5 Sep 2009, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> I assume your talking about the HELP_PATCH_AUTHOR field, and not
> AUTHOR.  (But maybe there are better names for these.)

Yes, I confused the two with my example, but let's say that the authorship
of one object-class is "Johannes wrote the original version, Martin added
a TCP transport module" or "Paquette wrote the whole abstraction, but we'd
like to thank the XYZ institute for encumbering it with a patent". There
are numerous things that one may want to put in an AUTHOR field in the
real world. It's not like a university lab, where you just have to write
the name of your advisor in that field and not think twice (except if you
are unlucky enough to have several advisors at once).

> I don't understand your last point, as far as parsing in Pd is
> concerned. If you have the tag "frequency_modulation," how is it that
> the user can search for "fm" and get appropriate results?

They can't. Why should they?

What's a tag?

Tell me what's a tag and what's the point of having tags.